More and more the music business has become a DIY endeavor.
If you’ve ever taken the time to search the Internet for help launching or growing your music career, you will see how confusing and expensive it is. The difficulty is that you must be able to honestly and realistically discern where you are as an artist, and where you are in your career.
We’ve put together a list of questions which will help you to be clear about where you are, and what is needed. These questions can act as a self-evaluation that allows for an honest and introspective look at yourself, a necessity in having a music career.
Answer the questions that are appropriate to you. You will find that as you answer each question you will begin to get a clearer understanding of where you’re at now, and can then begin to chart your course toward the goals you would like to achieve and the level of success you aspire toward.
Toward that end, here is our Music Career Self Evaluation Questionnaire that will start you on taking a look at whom you are as an artist, what you need, and what you want.
- How many songs have you written?
- Do you write and perform?
- Do you write to have others cover your songs?
- How long have you been songwriting?
- Do you write in a specific genre, and do you know the rules of each genre?
- Do you play an instrument?
- Have you played with others either as an accompanist or in a band?
- Have you ever taken songwriting courses or read songwriting books?
- Do you listen to other songwriters recorded music or in person?
- Do you know the best key for you and what your range is?
- Have you ever had your performance critiqued?
- Have you seen yourself on video?
- Do you attempt to write in another artist’s style?
- Have you ever had any of your work critiqued?
- Are you open to criticism?
- Are you possessive of your work?
- Have you ever collaborated with another songwriter or producer?
- Do you record your songs using a home or professional Studio?
- Do you copyright your songs – how do you copyright them?
- Do you perform your work in public?
- Where do you perform – Busking, Open Mic, Coffee Shop free, Coffee shop paid, Clubs, Fairs, Parks or Farmers Markets, Songwriter Events, Songwriter gatherings, Weddings, Parties, Self -produced Shows, Larger venues?
- Have you recorded an EP or CD – Was it Self-produced or Professional?
- Did you do a press release for them and/or hold a release event?
- Do you utilize bar codes and digital QR codes to market you merch?
- Do you send out your CDs to reviewers and to other Press folks – any radio play?
- Do you have a personal website or a page on a music site?
- Do you have a link from your website to Amazon or ITunes to your CD?
- Do you sell your CDs at shows?
- Do you have any Merchandise for sale at shows?
- Do you use social media to promote yourself?
- Do you have a fan base or have a plan to develop a fan base?
- Do you have professional photos of yourself such as Head shots and Live performance?
- Do you have any music videos, or ever thought about making one?
- Do you have a professional Media Kit or Press kit?
- Where do you think you are in your career?
- Do you have a realistic plan and clear goals?
Are you confused? Don’t be. You are responsible for your music career, and that is a good thing!
Once you’ve answered the questions you will have more control of your career just by knowing what is missing and what is needed. This is where we can help, by being your E-Coach and inviting you to be a part of Songwriters Marketplace.
- Listen to our Songwriter Insights Podcast and learn from music industry professionals.
- Learn by watching our instructional Video Tutorials.
- Gain more insight by reading the Blog Articles covering the full spectrum of songwriting and performance.
- Submit voicemail questions to our Ask Ken & Dave feature for direct and honest advice.
- Make use of the many valuable and time-saving tools and services we provide you with on our Resource Page.